Online data security has always been important, but never more so than now. With more and more of our data being stored on the cloud, users need to look for the best security solutions to ensure their confidential information is secure. While all parts of online data security are necessary to secure data, arguably the most important portion is data encryption.
What is Format-Preserving Encryption?
If your company has multiple 16-digit credit card numbers stored in a database, but the encrypted ciphertext needs to be 16-digits as well after encryption, this is where Format-Preserving Encryption [FPE] comes in.
FPE encrypts plaintext that is a certain length and produces a ciphertext that is the same length as the plaintext and uses the same set of values as the plaintext. Using the previous example of a 16-digit credit card number with a plaintext of 1483920193402918, the ciphertext created with FPE could produce an output of 1483666666662918.
Format-Preserving Encryption in Google Cloud
- Deterministic encryption using AES-SIV
- Format-Preserving Encryption
- Cryptographic hashing
- Using one of four values that represent the most common character sets/alphabets
- Using a radix value specifying the size of the alphabet. Specifying 2 gives an alphabet consisting of the numbers 0 and 1, while specifying 95 gives an alphabet with all numeric, upper-case alpha, lower-case alpha, and symbol characters
- By building an alphabet containing the exact characters to be used
Format preserving encryption is extremely important for users who wish to keep the ciphertext after encryption as the same length as the plaintext. Of the several different FPE-FFX methods used on Google Cloud, FF1 is the best practice method to use, due to the extra rounds of the Feistel function it goes through.Structured data requires a surrogate annotation be prepended on the ciphertext to allow for re-identification of data. Google Cloud has a strong implementation of FPE in place for customer use. For those in need of same length plaintext and ciphertext, Google Cloud’s FPE-FFX is their best choice.