Read time: 7 minutes
PIV Key Features
- Identity proofing
- Lifecycle management
- Advanced Use cases
- Physical/ IT System Access
Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Card
PIV Card Features
Information Stored in PIV Card
- Card Capability Container
- Card Holder Unique Identifier
- X.509 Certificate for PIV Authentication
- X.509 Certificate for Card Authentication
- Cardholder Fingerprints
- Cardholder Facial Image
- Security Object
PIV Authentication Mechanisms
- visual inspection of PIV Card visual elements
- verification of certificates on the PIV Card
- verification of signatures on the PIV biometrics
- Checking the expiration date and revocation status of the credentials on the PIV Card.
- presentation of a PIV Card by the cardholder
- matching the visual characteristics of the cardholder with the photo on the PIV Card
- matching the PIN provided with the PIN on the PIV Card and,
- matching the live fingerprint samples provided by the cardholder with the biometric information embedded within the PIV Card.
- Unlike PIV, no background checks are required, which directly impacts the level of suitability for access.
- Follows Federal Bridge cross-certification certificate policies.
- Origin: Federal CIO Council.
- Follows the issuing organization’s policies.
- Trusted credentials only within the issuing organization.
- Origin: Smart Card Alliance Access Control Council